**WARNING: Open wound photo below**
I’ve been a fan of having travel insurance for a few years since I began working in the travel industry. I had never even used it but had seen it save countless travelers a hefty amount of cash from a variety of incidents – from ear infections to car accidents. I hated to see a family spend time and money on the perfect trip just for it to go down the drain because their child got sick right before departure.
Since I travel for very long periods of time and am out of the US more than in it, I figured I’d wing it and save the extra cash by opting out of trip insurance before my extended stint in Southeast Asia. I never get food poisoning and I avoid riding on the back of scooters at all costs, so what could go wrong? Then… my good luck finally ran out.
While spending some time in Tonsai, an isolated beach in the Au Nang province of Western Thailand, I developed a skin infection on my leg and chest. It was completely out of the blue from under the skin, no cool story to even go with it. Everyone’s injuries seemed to get infected, seemingly due to the water. I thought if I kept it dry and clean, it would heal itself and disappear, but every day it got more red and inflamed. So rather than leaving it to a fate such as amputation, I finally made the 30 minute rock climb to the nearest travel clinic. Long story short, they cut both infected areas open, drained them, and sent me away with antibiotics and instructions to come back for cleaning every day for the next week.
The visit, supplies, and antibiotics cost me around 300 USD, for which I did NOT have insurance.
Since then, I stay covered… with travel insurance! My favorite for basic travel is World Nomads because of their extensive coverage, plan options, and price – but they do have an age cap. My other preferred partner is Allianz who I use for the majority of my clients.
Here are some quick facts:
7 things you should know about travel insurance from WorldNomads
- Trusted reliable underwriters – WorldNomads is backed by a suite of strong, secure, specialist travel insurers who provide you with great cover, 24 hour emergency assistance and the highest levels of support and claims management when you need it most.
- Value for money with the coverage you need – WorldNomads provides cover for what’s important for travelers from over 150 countries. By focussing on what you need and leaving out what you don’t, World Nomads prices are some of the most competitive online.
- Flexibility when you need it most – Had a change of plans? You can extend your policy or claim online while you are still away. You can even buy a World Nomads policy if you’re already traveling.
- Cover for a range of adventure activities – From skiing & snowboarding in New Zealand to whitewater rafting in Colorado, WorldNomads covers a range of adventure activities, giving you peace of mind to get the most from your travels.
- World Nomads keeps you traveling safely – All WorldNomads members have access to up-to-date travel safety alerts, as well as travel safety advice and tips online through the World Nomads Travel Safety Hub.
I’m happy to help you find the best coverage for your trip! Contact me